Monday, January 28, 2008

...And the drive home!

Well, the weekend was amazing, but I still had to get home so that I could get to work on Monday. I left Keizer, OR around 3:15pm. It was partly cloudy with the sun shining through. It had rained just a bit, but there was no "adverse" weather around. We had heard reports of snow coming, but we thought I might be driving ahead of the storm. Well, as I drove out of the driveway I realized I had two messages on my phone. One from Tobin saying there was snow in Medford and to drive carefully. The second was Marty (my mother-in-law) and she told me that she had heard of closures on I-5 near Medford. So as I drove out I called Maryanne, who soon became my "The Weather and Road Report" (cell phones are wonderful)! She told me there were closures near Cottage Grove and that I would be encountering snow soon.

Snow came at the Kuebler Blvd exit, and for those who don't know that is merely South Salem. But just as the "mail must go through" "Patients must be seen." I had to get to work on Monday, so I felt I had no option but to keep going. The drive actually was quite good and there weren't really any "problems" until I saw a readout just south of Eugene, "Accident 30 miles ahead, use caution, and expect delays."

Sure enough just 4-5miles south of Cottage Grove, I came to a complete stop, with a line of cars and trucks, of which I could not see the front. I called Maryanne and she told me there was an overturned truck blocking all lanes. So I sat,

and sat,

and sat,


and SAT! Get the point? I was there waiting at a complete stop for 2 HOURS!!!!!! When I had gone by the exit in Cottage Grove I had thought to get out and use the bathroom, but I figured, "No I need to keep going because the snow might just get worse." So as I started to wait I already needed to go. And then it got to an hour, and I was starting to get desperate. I HAD TO GO!!! If I had been on the Santiam Pass with 2 lanes and trees on each side, I would have just went. But as you picture I-5, 2 lanes each side, a large concrete median, and a large barren embankment on each side because I was right under an overpass (without an on-ramp). So I had NO WHERE to go without 100 people seeing my bare bottom! So I started going into survival mode, I distracted myself with talking on the phone or reading my NP magazine (with a flashlight because it was dark and I didn't want the battery to run out on the car). But I couldn't concentrate because my eyes were floating. I starting thinking about using the Nalgene; the only container in my car! And you know you're desperate when a girl starts to think about using a container to go number one! Well, the line started to move after 1 1/2 hours. So I had hope, allowing me to hold it! I moved 200 feet then stopped again for another 1/2 hour! Then FINALLY, the line moved and cleared the Semi that was still rolled on its side!

I then drove to Sutherland and stopped at the Taco Bell and was able to relieve myself! I don't know if I've ever experienced such relief! The drive wasn't over because I had to go over the pass between Roseburg and Medford. I was going 35-40mph almost the entire way because it was snowing hard! But I didn't have to put on chains, which would have been an adventure because they are new chains, that I've never put on!

After 7 hours I finally drove into our garage (with the help of Tobin so I wouldn't spin out in the snowy driveway) at 10:15pm!

Was it worth the drive to see everyone? Definitely YES!

Oh...And by the way....the clinic I work at is closed today due to the snow. The Irony. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment