Friday, February 8, 2008

It's an Epidemic!!

Cough, sore throat, runny nose, body aches, fatigue, tactile fevers...I think that everyone is infected and everyone feels they need medicine! Here's to make it public, really the thing you "ARE sure is an infection," is probably nothing more than the common rhinovirus or some other form of virus....there are thousands! Don't get me wrong, I love caring for and educating the public, and I don't want to say you shouldn't see your medical provider, but we can't work magic! Really we can't give you much more than what you can do to treat that cold/cough/flu.

WATER, WATER, WATER; fluids are essential! Rest or moderate exercise if you already exercise.

And here's a news brief, those symptoms on average will last 10-14 days. Usually, you don't really notice you are sick till day 2-3 and then you get really snotty noses, cough, sore throat. But after 2 days of this doesn't mean you have a Raging Strep Throat! So wait it out maybe at least 8-10 days till you go see a doctor. By then you probably will just cancel the appointment and will save yourself some money for not going.

Probably most of you who read this probably already do these things. I think I'm just a little extra sensitive because I'm sick now too. I'm surviving though and taking the advice I give to my patients. Now of course no world is perfect, if you have any other co-morbid conditions such as asthma, are pregnant, have high blood pressure, etc. you might want to see or ask a medical provider about your symptoms.

Well, here's to surviving through the cold and flu season. But hey, it definitely is job security for me, so who's complaining.

Sniffle, Sniff, Sniff, Bloww!!!! Glug, Glug (the water)...I hope you are all washing your hands and staying healthy!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I couldn't agree more. I am seeing ths same things here is California! You would think that people have never been sick before the way they act!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you've got the plague now too my friend. It's not a fun one. I'm still working through the last of it! :( I'll be praying for quick healing for you. Good post too...good advice! Oh and the taco bell and KFC are a combined restaurant here in town...makes it easy to do the taco/mashed potato thing! :) I LOVE YOU!!! GET BETTER SOON!! See you in like 6 weeks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. seriously, this year it doesn't seem to be just a cough and cold - I think the pneumonic plague has returned, cause Tena and I had it bad in January as we were training.. gets in the lungs are just sets up camp!
    hope you are feeling better!!
    PS - I still am hoping to make it up to the NW as well, still to be determined however... fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete