Thursday, October 11, 2007

A Flexible Weekend

This past weekend was planned to go camping all weekend, but the Thursday and Friday prior things changed a bit. First off we found out the campsite hadn't been booked and now it was full...so plan B: So our Long Beach Apartment decided to have a roommate bonding weekend.



Saturday: Mountain Bike Ride
Sunday: Drive to Carlsbad/Encinitas, surf and then camp
Monday: Sea Kayak/Snorkel/Swim/Have fun



Well, then on Friday I find out that I'm working on Sunday, so Plan C...


Saturday: Mountain Bike Ride - Amazing, fun, 15 miles of up (try to ride up, fall off, and then walk the bike up) and barrel down the hill, while riding both brakes the entire time. The grade downhill was such an incline that I had to lean backwards over my seat to not flip forward!




At the very top!

Mani (one of our roomates), me, and Tobin

Sunday: Work a 12 hr shift, that ended up being one of the most difficult/busiest shifts I've worked, had no lunch break, ate a granola bar and a few bites of chip/salsa, then drove down to Carlsbad meet my roommates, Tobin, and another Friend Jana who is also a Fellow - who had been surfing and playing in the sun all day (just slightly jealous, but still ok because they had mallows and s'mores waiting for me!). Slept in tents in the campground set with the Pacific Coast Hwy just in our backyard and the beach/ocean in our front yard. =) It was an experience, and lots of fun!



Yumm, S'mores! I think one might be burning...

Tobin slept in a hammock!


Yumm, pizza for breakfast. Breakfast of Champions!


Monday: We drove to beautiful La Jolla and went sea kayaking and snorkeling. I swam with Leopard Sharks!!! And I heroically saved Tobin from them.....just kidding, they were harmless! It was beautiful and incredible fun to be out on the ocean in a kayak for 3 1/2 hours. Mani, one of our roommates, snorkeled the entire time!!! His fingers were like prunes by the time we were done. Anyways, definitely makes me want to go to Hawaii and see more beautiful reefs and fish, but I've got to learn how to unplug my ears, and how to properly blow water "OUT" of my snorkel rather than suck "IN." =)

-disclaimer: sorry no pictures of the sharks or snorkeling...didn't want to get the camera wet. But believe me it was be-a-U-TI-ful!!!


So despite plan A failing, plan B failing, plan C turned out to be wonderful! And now since I've worked this next week won't be as crazy for me! Shows that God's plan is better to trust in and not be bitter when things change. =)

3 comments:

  1. yet another awesome weekend from the kids down in Long Beach.... but there's no jealousy on my end, down here in Mississippi! :)
    Looks like Tobin's ENJOYING the fact that he isn't chained to a desk and some sort of textbook/powerpoint presentation all weekend long (again, no jealousy, just BITTERNESS!) hehehe

    miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy - HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope things are fire-free for you over there in So. Cal.! Love, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey...sounds like things are going well! I wish you both the best!

    ReplyDelete